Alleged Human Smuggler Sentenced to 22.5 Years in I-10 High-Speed Crash While Fleeing Law Enforcement

FLORENCE, AZ (May 16th, 2024)  –  A Pinal County Judge has sentenced Timothy Broyles, 33, to more than 20 years in prison for seriously injuring two people and endangering others in a high-speed crash while fleeing law enforcement along the I-10.

This week, Pinal County Superior Court Judge Jason Holmberg sentenced Broyles to 22.5 years in the Arizona Department of Corrections.

“Dangerous decisions lead to dire consequences,” said County Attorney Kent Volkmer. “I am just relieved that no innocent civilians or law enforcement personnel were injured in this case and the driver was held accountable for his choice to endanger the public.”

Broyles pled guilty to two counts of Aggravated Assault, both Class 3 Felonies; Unlawful Flight from Law Enforcement, a Class 5 Felony; and two counts of Endangerment, both Class 6 Felonies.

"Smuggling in Pinal County does not pay," said Sheriff Mark Lamb. "We will hold you accountable." 

In February, 2023, the deputies with the Pinal County Sheriff's Office attempted a traffic stop on a Red GMC traveling along I-10. The vehicle did not stop and instead sped up and began changing lanes. The deputy initiated a pursuit and followed the vehicle as it weaved through traffic at speeds up to 90mph. At one point, the GMC crossed over the median and began driving into oncoming traffic, driving westbound on the eastbound side of the interstate at speeds near 90mph. Traffic was having to swerve to avoid striking the GMC. During the pursuit, the GMC lost control and rolled into the median. Two passengers were ejected and sustained serious injuries. Two other passengers were also in the vehicle and suffered minor injuries.

Broyles was identified as the driver and told deputies he did not stop because he was scared and did not want "to lose his load of people," according to the incident report.

Broyles also admitted to using fentanyl and had to have narcan administered by EMS.

This case was prosecuted by Deputy County Attorney Stephen Bridger.